The 161st annual Vermont State Fair opens today and runs through September 10.
1. The first Rutland Fair took place in 1846.
2. In 1859 the first Rutland Fair was held at it’s present location.
3. The Fair was closed for the first time in 1917 due to an influenza epidemic.
4. The Fair started as a one day event.
5. In 1926 the Rutland fair was rated the third largest in New England and among the top 10 in the nation.
6. On June 17, 1939 the great fire completely destroyed the grandstand. The reconstruction of the grandstand took just 40 days.
7. In 1972 The Rutland Fair became officially the Vermont State Fair.
The Fair today offers 10 days of fun and entertainment for all ages. Hope to see you there!